What are the Best Ways To Use Turmeric?
As you all know, it's also called a “Golden Spice” because to its several benefits.
Not only that, but its versatility also makes it a popular all-around herb.
With that, here are 5 ways to incorporate it into your everyday routine.
In that way, you can maximize its potential and get the best out of it!
Note: This article includes references and studies on turmeric and ways to use it.
Best Ways To Use Turmeric (In A Nutshell)
Firstly – turmeric has a lot of benefits for overall health.
It's known to be the best anti-inflammatory herb for a lot of reasons.
Not only that – but due to its vibrant color and unique flavor, it has other additional applications.
So let me list down the best ways to incorporate it into your diet:
- take it as a supplement
- add it into your dishes
- turn it into a delicious beverage
- use it as an all-around cream
- create an energizing facial mask with it
May it be topical or edible, turmeric has found its way into people's lives.
It's a wonderful addition to level up your lifestyle and make it more healthy.
So it's really up to you to choose which application could suit your needs.
Just make sure to choose the best quality products and ingredients.
In that way, you could avoid some potential side effects caused by turmeric.
#1 – Pills
Turmeric pills/supplements are a quick and convenient option to get its benefits.
They are easily available and popular, due to their medicinal properties.
Also – you don't need a doctor's prescription to buy a turmeric supplement.
With that, here are the general instructions on using one correctly:
- Buy a high-quality turmeric supplement from a reputable brand.
- Choose the ones with absorption boosters (like BioPerine), since turmeric has a low absorption.
- Follow the recommended dosage.
- To avoid stomach discomfort, try taking the pills after a meal.
- Be consistent, since no supplement can do wonders overnight.
- If you're also taking prescription drugs (especially anticoagulants), ask your doctor first.
- Lastly, monitor your health and switch to better products if there are any issues.
Again – the instructions above are the general ones for any turmeric supplement.
They can surely vary, since one brand might have different doses than the others.
So always check the label and follow the directions carefully.
Additionally – here's the list of the potential benefits of a turmeric supplement :
- manages inflammation
- reduces oxidative stress
- alleviates arthritis
- relieves muscle soreness
- helps with anxiety
- regulates metabolic syndrome
So if you're always on the go, turmeric as pills is the best option for you.
Overall – it's important to find the best turmeric supplement available.
In that way, you could make the most of it, without paying a huge price or suffering from side effects.
#2 – Spice
The most common way to utilize turmeric is by using it as an ingredient in your recipes.
Well – it's because of its earthy, pungent and warm taste that adds depth to your meals .
In addition, it's also used as a colorant for dishes like curry or stew.
Now – here are the different forms of turmeric that you can incorporate into your recipes:
- powdered form
- fresh/raw root
- paste (by blending it with other liquids)
- turmeric-infused oil
- concentrated extract
Honestly – you can find turmeric for cooking in a lot of grocery stores.
You can add a pinch, teaspoon or drop of it (depending on the form you're going to use for your recipes).
Again – it's used as a spice just like other herbs and it's generally safe to consume.
But still, let me give you tips on how to add it to your food:
- Add a small amount of turmeric first (to avoid overpowering the other ingredients).
- You can also incorporate it into your homemade spice blend.
- For fresh turmeric roots, saute them with other ingredients to release the aroma and flavor.
- In creating infused oil, submerge it with your preferred oil and cook them on very low heat.
- Add your powdered turmeric to stews, broth and soups for an extra flavor and color.
- You can also mix it with rice, quinoa or couscous to elevate your meal.
Since you're adding it to your meal, make sure to practice food safety during preparations.
The goal is to avoid contaminations that can potentially harm your health.
Overall, you can use turmeric as a normal spice and food colorant in a variety of dishes.
#3 – Beverage
Besides adding them to your dishes, you can also use turmeric to create different beverages.
In fact, it's a nutritious and delectable way to enjoy it every day.
Again – it has antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and it can aid digestion.
With that, here are several ways to enjoy turmeric as drinks:
- golden milk (turmeric powder + black pepper + cinnamon + sweetener + milk)
- turmeric tea (how water + fresh/dried/powdered turmeric + lemon juice + honey)
- smoothie (frozen fruits + turmeric powder + leafy vegetables + black pepper + almond milk)
- juice (carrots + carrots + apples + turmeric root + banana)
- infused water (turmeric root + cucumber + water)
As you can see, turmeric can be a refreshing drink or a source of warmth during cold days.
So it really depends on how you're going to consume it.
But I have one tip – always start with a very small amount (since it has a strong flavor).
You can always adjust it until you reach the optimal concentration.
Due to its versatility, I'm sure you can find the best way to include turmeric in your everyday diet.
Well – you just have to explore and experiment to make it fit to your taste.
#4 – Cream
You can eat/drink turmeric safely – so there won't be a problem applying it topically as well.
One of the ways to do it is by buying a turmeric cream or by creating one at your home.
But why do you need one? :
- protects skin from free radicals
- reduces skin inflammations
- shortens the duration for the wound to heal 
- prevents cell proliferation 
- has antimicrobial properties
- improves collagen and fibroblast
So if you're planning to use a turmeric cream, let me give you some important notes to keep in mind:
- Do a patch test to determine if you're allergic to it or not.
- Clean and dry the skin before applying the cream.
- Take a pea size amount and spread it evenly in your desired area.
- You can also massage it using circular motions (until your skin fully absorbed it).
- If you experience irritation or discomfort, wash it off immediately.
Again – not everyone will react in the same way to a topical product.
So it's always better to test the turmeric cream on the small part of your skin.
Lastly – you should check the ingredients of the product you want to try.
The reason is that the other components might not be suitable for you.
#5 – Facial Mask
Lastly, a turmeric facial mask is another option, if you want to use it topically.
Well – it didn't become a popular skincare staple for no reason:
- helps reduce melasma and hyperpigmentation 
- treats acne (especially inflammatory acne conditions) 
- improves vitiligo and psoriarsis
- reduces facial photoaging and radiodermatitis 
- boosts collagen production
- provides antioxidants for skin health
- exfoliates and clarifies the skin
- offers hydration and moisturization
So do you want to try it at home? Well – it's very easy to create your own mask.
Just mix turmeric powder and honey/yogurt in a small bowl, until you get a smooth consistency.
You may opt for more beneficial ingredients – such as aloe vera gel or lemon juice.
In addition – here are some tips on how to use the turmeric facial mask:
- Clean your face thoroughly and pat it dry.
- Apply a thin layer of mask all over your face (avoid eyes and lips).
- Leave the face mask for only 10 to 15 minutes or until it dries.
- After that, rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- Dry your face and apply your favorite moisturizer.
As much as possible, create a fresh batch of facial masks for a more refreshing feeling.
Also – don't leave it for a very long time, since turmeric pigments tend to stain the skin.
Overall, try to test it first in a small portion of your face (to see if you're allergic to it or not).
Firstly – turmeric is considered a “golden spice” due to its several benefits.
Not only that, its versatility can let you use it in different ways:
- food ingredient
- facial mask
Again, it has a unique and remarkable taste that can elevate the flavor of your dishes and drinks.
Additionally – it's also a component of some topical products (facial masks and creams).
That's because of its antioxidant content and skin-loving properties.
However – just make sure to use the best turmeric products or raw materials.
In that way, you would get its maximum benefits and your effort won't be useless.
Overall – turmeric is proven to enhance your health from the inside and out.
That's why it's been a staple herb for a very long time.
1 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-29065496/
2 – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-books/-NBK92752/
3 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-17569219/
4 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-26624595/
5 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-35104042/
6 – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-pmc/articles/-PMC5843359/
7 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-29243674/
8 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/-27213821/