Do you want to get a lighter skin?
Or do you just want to get rid of that uneven skin tone?
No need to worry, because this guide is everything you need.
Here is a list of skin-lightening DIY remedies (7 steps) you can try anytime.
Note: This list is based on thorough research and personal opinion on skin lightening.
#1 – Zeta White Cream
There is definitely no short supply of skin-lightening products on the market.
But the tricky part is choosing the right one for you.
This is because most products are way too harsh for most skin types.
Now, I know a product that is really gentle – while being very effective at the same time.
I'm talking about a cream called Zeta White:
- Herbal-based formula (almost 100% natural ingredients).
- Based on a special composition.
- Really safe for all types of skins.
- Potent effect once used.
- Immediate results (within 3 weeks).
- No regular side effects.
- Supported by lots of satisfied users.
- 100 days money-back guarantee.
- Really cheap for its level of quality.
As I said, most products cause irritations and redness on your skin.
This particular product has already an advantage, as it is not only very effective – but it comes with a gentle effect.
So you win 2 things here: safety and efficacy.
Once you start using Zeta White, you get to experience a lot of benefits:
- Evened skin tone.
- Brightened skin.
- Reduced dark spots.
- Hyperpigmentation protection.
Here's the main thing about Zeta White – it comes as a 3 product-system:
- Face Wash – based on lemon and papaya extract that adds a gentle lightening base .
- Moisturizer – protects and brightens the skin against further darkening.
- Night Cream – promotes new, lighter skin cellular growth.
I highly suggest you to use the full package for best results.
But you can still begin with one product only and see for yourself what it can really do.
Still, using the whole system saves you some money from using a separate product.
Skin lightening products can be really effective, if used right.
Zeta White Cream stands out among the rest, as it prioritizes both safety and effect.
It comes with a gentle formula that can prevent irritations and redness.
Plus, no other product has a better quality/ratio on the market.
#2 – Turmeric + Aloe Vera Mask
One of the best DIY remedies you can get is by using 2 natural ingredients.
And you can safely bet turmeric and Aloe Vera.
These two compounds are no strangers when it comes to skincare practices.
That's because both of them have some skin-lightening abilities.
Here's what turmeric can do:
- Can whiten skin pretty well .
- Minimizes the visibility of scars.
- Lightens pigmentation.
- Evens your skin tone.
- Brightens dark spots.
As for Aloe Vera:
- Contains aloin and aloesin, which are skin-lightening agents.
- Helps you get rid of dark spots.
- May eliminate hyperpigmentation.
Remember that dark skin is caused by too much melanin.
And these two ingredients work very well in preventing its excessive production.
Turmeric is made of curcumin, which can also give you a glowing skin.
Aloesin from Aloe Vera blocks an extra amount of melanin on your skin.
On the other hand, aloin removes melanin in pigmented skin cells.
You can combine them with other ingredients as well:
- Use 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of honey and 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel.
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Let the mixture rest for a bit (2 minutes)
- Then you can start gently applying it to your clean and dry face.
- Leave it on your face (20 minutes-30 minutes).
- After that, you can now rinse it off with some lukewarm water.
Now, this is just a recipe you can use as a model.
But I do recommend you to combine these 2 ingredients with honey.
In case you want to add some extra ones, that's totally fine.
There are natural ingredients that you can use to lighten your skin.
Turmeric and Aloe Vera are some good choices, as they both control melanin production.
Applying these two ingredients is both easy and cheap.
#3 – Orange + Lemon Juice
You can't go wrong when you opt for natural ingredients.
In this step, I'm going to give you a popular remedy that can make miracles.
Topical application of oranges and lemon juices is very effective in skin lightening.
Both are citrus fruits, but they have their own unique ways to lighten your skin.
Here's how orange juice can help:
- Brightens your face.
- Offers you fair-looking skin.
- Protects skin from UV radiation.
- Improves overall skin tone.
Now, these are the benefits of lemon juice:
- Can treat damage caused by acne.
- Lessens your dark spots and freckles visibility.
- Helps to give you an even complexion.
Now, both of them have significant some natural bleaching properties.
They both contain vitamin C, which is very effective in controlling the production of melanin.
Vitamin C is also helpful because it protects you from UV-induced pigmentation .
These harmful UV rays are also the real cause damaged and darkened skin.
Take note of this simple homemade recipe you can do at home:
- Get a tablespoon of lemon juice, orange juice and honey mix them up.
- Give them at least 2 minutes to rest.
- After that, you can start applying the mixture to your clean and dry face.
- Rub it gently and massage.
- Give at least 5-10 minutes after you place it on your skin.
- Now rinse and clean your face with a clean towel.
Just like most home remedies, mixing these ingredients together can increase their action.
There's room for other key ingredients as well – it's up to you.
But remember that consistent application is the key here (for some good results).
Vitamin C is essential in regulating melanin production inside your skin.
Orange and lemon juices are really rich in natural vitamin C.
Mixing them along with other natural ingredients can effectively lighten your skin.
#4 – Honey + Papaya Mask
Everyone serious about skin-lightening is after the best ingredients they can can.
And there's a reason why these next two ingredients are usually found in most lightening products.
They are some potent skin-lightening agents.
So allow me to show you the benefits of honey and papaya.
Look at how honey can help you get that lightened skin:
- Composed of a natural bleaching agent (hydrogen peroxide).
- Contains minerals and vitamins that give you a brighter skin complexion.
- Eliminates dead skin cells.
- Helps lighten pigmentation.
- Removes impurities that contribute to skin darkening.
Now, these are the benefits of papaya:
- Contains a natural enzyme named papain.
- Promotes cell turnover.
- Help reveal younger cells.
- Brightens skin tone.
- Nourishes the skin .
- Lightens overall skin complexion.
The best thing about these two ingredients is that they stimulate skin renewal.
Skin renewal is essential, because your darkened skin is made up of old and dead skin cells.
Using these substances shreds it all off and replaces it with some newer cells.
In this way, it can give you a lighter skin appearance.
Here's a DIY remedy you can try:
- Get some 3-5 small chunks of papaya and make them a smooth paste.
- Put the paste in a container and mix it with 2 tsp of honey and 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix them all together and let it rest for a bit (1-2 minutes).
- After that, start to place the mixture in your skin gently.
- Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water afterwards.
Now, there are many other ways to apply these ingredients on your face.
You can use other substances from this list as well (orange, Aloe Vera and turmeric).
What I love about this is that you have control over what you apply on your precious skin.
Honey and papaya are known to help people achieve a lighter skin complexion.
Both of them contain active compounds that promote the removal of dead and darkened skin.
This, in turn, gives you a noticeable lighter skin appearance.
#5 – Yoghurt Treatment
For some, yoghurt is not that bad when it comes to taste.
But it's definitely effective when it comes to lightening your skin.
This is because topical application of it brings in a lot of benefits that can help you.
In this step, I'm now going to show you how to use yoghurt as a skin lightener:
- Has bleaching properties.
- Removes dead skin cells.
- Gradually eliminates dark spots.
- Treats your under-eye dark circles.
- Brightens skin tone.
Yoghurt works best in holding back the synthesis of tyrosinase.
Now – tyrosinase is an enzyme that is actively involved in the production of melanin.
When you apply yoghurt, you can control the amount of melanin that darkens your skin.
It also contains lactic acid, which improves the cell turnover of skin cells.
Consider trying this remedy at home:
- Get at least 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and mix it on a bowl with 1 tbsp of honey.
- You can also add 1 tbsp of oats, if you like.
- Mix them until you achieve a smooth paste.
- Use the back of a spoon and apply it on your clean and dry skin.
- Then it let rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- After that, rinse it all off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
This is a common recipe for you to try.
You can work on this and add some twists that you feel comfortable with it.
Yoghurt treatment is an effective way to lighten your skin.
It slows down the production of melanin, that contributes to skin darkening.
Plus, it enhances your cell turnover rate – which replaces darkened skin cells with lighter ones.
#6 -Besan + Tomatoes
If you are unfamiliar with it, besan is also called gram flour and it's used in Indian cuisine.
And yes, tomatoes can be used in skin-whitening too.
These two ingredients are known to be effective when it comes to lightening your skin.
Combining them into a single application can give you some positive results.
Take note of what besan can do:
- Removes skin tan.
- Lightens skin tone.
- Removes layers of dead skin cells.
- Reduces visibility of acne scars.
- Improves overall skin tone.
Now, here are the benefits of tomatoes:
- Rich in vitamin C.
- Act as a natural bleaching agent.
- Clear dark spots.
- Give you an even skin tone.
- Lessen dull skin.
What is also good about this remedy is that it safe for all skin types.
Good exfoliation is a must, in order to get a lighter skin appearance.
And using besan is essential, as it is a great natural exfoliator that gives you a whiter skin.
On the other hand, tomatoes contain vitamin C – that prevents you from having too much melanin.
Here's one of the common recipes you can use as a reference:
- Prepare 2 tbsp of besan, 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 ripe tomato.
- Remove the pulp from the tomato.
- Combine them well in a mixing bowl.
- Then carefully apply the mix on your face.
- Leave it there for at least 20-30 minutes, until it dries.
- Then rinse it with cold water.
As you can see, you can also add some other ingredients from this list list.
Plus, this recipe is obviously very easy to make.
Still, I advise you to use it consistently (for the best results).
Besan is helpful in skin-lightening, as it is a good natural exfoliator.
You can use tomatoes too – because of their natural bleaching ability.
With consistent use, these compounds can give you a strong lightening effect.
#7 – Rice Flour + Milk Powder
The use of rice flour for skin is something most people are not familiar with.
It is said to be a popular trend in East Asia.
Nevertheless, just like milk powder – it does hold some potential benefits for your skin.
So let's see how these 2 compounds can be a good remedy for you.
You can consider these possible benefits of rice flour:
- Has ferulic acid and phytic acid, that have a skin brightening effect.
- Contribute to lightening sun spots, acne scars and blemishes.
- Lessens the appearance of your dark circles.
- Brighten skin complexion.
As for milk powder, here's how it helps:
- Is a source of lactic acid, that smoothens and lightens skin.
- Removes skin impurities (like whiteheads and blackheads).
- Gets rid of dead skin cells.
- Acts as a gentle skin bleacher.
- Improves dull skin appearance.
Mixing these two ingredients gives a powerful effect in reducing skin pigmentation.
Ferulic acid from rice flour enhances the stability of your vitamins C and E.
Phytic acid is found to be as effective as glycolic acid and salicylic acid .
Lastly, milk powder has a higher concentration of nutrients than liquid milk.
If you want to try and witness the benefits yourself, here's a simple recipe:
- Use at least 1 tbsp of milk powder and rice flour, 1 tsp of lemon juice and rose water.
- Mix them well in a bowl.
- After mixing them, apply them to your skin.
- Let the mixture rest on your skin for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash it off afterwards.
Note that there is a limited research on the use of rice flour alone.
But its compounds (ferulic acid and phytic acid) have a lot of info behind.
So if you have a healthy skin with no allergies, you can safely try it.
Rice flour contains ferulic and phytic acid, which are critical for a lighter skin appearance.
Milk powder has lactic acid, that is also effective in giving you a brighter skin.
As a whole, they are both some promising remedies for skin lightening.
My Final Thoughts
So what are the best DIY skin-lightening remedies you can count on?
I would recommend trying out these 7 ideas:
- Start using Zeta White Cream.
- Make your own turmeric and aloe vera face mask.
- Consider using orange and lemon juice.
- Apply honey and papaya mask at home.
- Have a yoghurt treatment.
- Try using besan and tomato remedy.
- Use rice flour with milk powder.
Obviously, the steps will not lighten your skin overnight.
They may not even work after several trials.
That's because all skin-lightening treatments take time to start working.
Plus, you have to be very consistent when using them.
But trying them will eventually be all worth it.
Your skin will definitely get lighter and whiter, as long as you're patient enough to use them in the long run.
1 – https://www.researchgate.net/publicationJournal
2 – https://www.acrwebsite.org/volumesNA-35
3 – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles
4 – https://www.phytojournal.com/archives