Let's talk about the Sirtfood Diet results for weight loss.
This diet rose to fame after singer Adele followed it to lose an incredible amount of weight.
So is it actually a game-changer?
Let's analyze its results, reviews, opinions and a lot more.
Note: This article includes references and studies on Sirtfood Diet.
What Is Sirtfood Diet?
We all know who Adele is…
So this time, let's talk about the dietary regimen she followed.
Basically – here's the info you need to know about the Sirtfood Diet :
- popularized by Aidan Goggins and Glen Matten (with backgrounds in nutritional medicine and pharmacy)
- revolves around consuming foods that have high amounts of sirtuins
- includes calorie restrictions and phases when following the regimen
- the diet's main goal is weight loss
Firstly – the diet is called “Sirtfood” because it suggests the intake of foods rich in sirtuins.
To give you an idea, they are a group of signaling proteins that contributes to metabolic regulation .
So it's safe to say that this diet targets the metabolism and fat-burning capacity of your body.
Once that happens, losing weight should be easier (ideally).
How Does Sirtfood Diet Work?
Now – let's discuss how the Sirtfood Diet works for weight loss.
Again, the founders claimed that some polyphenols can activate the sirtuin or “skinny” genes.
These genes can imitate the effects of exercise and fasting.
In short, this diet promotes foods with powerful sirtuin activating polyphenols .
Also – this dietary regimen lasts for at least three weeks.
With that, let's discuss further the important guidelines for following this diet.
1. First Phase
The first part of the Sirtfood Diet is also known as the low-calorie phase.
So here's how you should follow it and what you have to consume:
- Days 1 to 3 = 3 servings of green juice + 1 Sirtfood meal (per day)
- Days 4 to 7 = 2 servings of green juice + 2 Sirtfood meals (daily)
As you can see, this phase lasts for a solid one week.
Afterwards, you can proceed to the next steps.
Now – the bottom line in starting the diet is that you only have 1000 to 1500 calories a day.
Since calorie intake is very restricted, a rapid weight loss should be noticeable in this phase.
2. Second Phase
The second phase of the Sirtfood Diet is more on for maintenance.
With that, here's what happens in this part of the regimen:
- Weeks 2 to 3 = 1 serving of green juice + 3 Sirtfood meals (daily)
- An addition of 2 snacks (allowed foods) is optional
At this point, calories are no longer counted, but you should stick only to Sirtfood-rich meals.
Again – you need to do this phase for 14 days for your body to maintain losing weight steadily.
However, it's quite tricky, since you still need to look out for your calorie intake.
So even if this phase doesn't require you to count them, you still don't want to overeat.
Overall – green juice should be a daily staple in obeying the whole regimen.
To sum it up, the principle behind the Sirtfood Diet sounds complex.
But if you look at it, the regimen only revolves around the consumption of green juice and Sirtfood meals.
So it's pretty obvious that it supports a rapid weight loss (due to calorie restrictions for 3 weeks).
Sirtfood Diet's Benefits
Just like any type of special diet, the Sirtfood Diet surely comes with claimed benefits too.
With that, let me list down its potential effects :
- losing 7 lbs in one week
- retains muscle mass
- improves memory function
- regulates blood sugar levels
- reduces risks of chronic diseases 
- has anti-aging benefits
- boosts energy levels
- supports a better sleep
Honestly – the benefits above are quite promising.
Sure, plant-based foods can give you a lot of nutrients.
However – consuming them alone is not enough.
Obviously, the first thing you would definitely experience is losing weight.
Again – the responsible is the calorie restriction during the phases.
In addition, it's the way sirtuins can trigger lipolysis and loss of fat. .
However – there's still little evidence to support all of the diet's claims.
Also, not getting enough calories is also risky.
With that, some potential side effects can appear, but let's discuss them below.
Sirtfood Diet's Downsides
Even though the Sirtfood Diet claims to have several benefits, it also comes with some issues.
Some of them are potential adverse reactions :
- fatigue, headache or dry mouth
- nutrient deficiencies
- weight fluctuation/rebound weight
- digestive issues (diarrhea, constipation or bloating)
- social isolation and psychological effects
Again – following the diet means that you have to cut your calorie intake.
This includes the elimination of other food groups that are also rich in essential nutrients.
We all know that not getting enough nutrients can affect several body functions.
Some of them have a high chance of developing into health complications.
Also – due to diet restrictions, you might find it hard to eat with your friends or dine out at all.
Well, that's because you will have a strict set of foods daily.
In addition, you might not find Sirtfood-rich meals outside (unless you prepare and bring them).
So even though the regimen is only for 3 weeks, it can still take a toll on your mental health.
One example is that it can trigger disordered eating patterns.
Overall, it's a must to consult with a doctor before doing significant changes in your diet.
What You Can Eat In Sirtfood Diet
As I mentioned, the Sirtfood Diet primarily involves foods rich in sirtuin activating polyphenols.
They are believed to promote fat-burning and regulate metabolism.
With that, let's quickly take a look first at the components of the Sirtfood Green Juice :
- flat-leaf parsley
- celery stalks and leaves
- green apple
- fresh ginger
- matcha powder
All you have to do is juice the fresh ingredients together and mix the matcha powder afterwards.
On the other hand, here are the rest of the foods allowed in this diet :
- water, tea, coffee and red wine
- fruits and vegetables (berries, green leafy vegetables, onions and more)
- grains, legumes, soy and meats
- healthy fats such as fatty fish, olive oil, nuts and butter
- herbs and spices (parsley, turmeric, basil, cilantro and more)
- dark chocolate with at least 85% cocoa content
Now – make sure that the foods listed above are fresh and whole.
Also, meats should be eaten in moderation (compared to plant-based foods).
Take note that it's highly encouraged to incorporate meats after finishing the two phases.
As you can see, the allowed foods in the Sirtfood Diet are close to the ones from the Mediterranean Diet.
The only difference is that the latter regimen does not require you to limit your calorie intake.
Foods To Eliminate In Sirtfood Diet
On the other hand, we're also going to mention the foods needed to be eliminated in this regimen.
So here are the ones you can't eat if you follow the Sirtfood Diet:
- foods and beverages high in sugar or oversweetened foods
- processed foods (frozen, canned, fast food, chips and more)
- high-fat dairy products and starchy foods/ingredients
- any types of unhealthy fats and fatty cuts of meat
Obviously – most of the foods listed above are high in calories, which is a big no in this diet .
Generally, processed foods should be avoided if you want to lose weight and live healthily .
So the food groups that are needed to be eliminated in this diet make sense.
Now – if you follow the diet religiously, you should be prepared to avoid the list above.
Otherwise, there's a chance of gaining more weight after the regimen if you get back into eating them.
How To Do The Sirtfood Diet & Plan
Now, we're going to break down the details you need to know if you plan to follow the Sirtfood Diet.
So basically – here are the steps you need to follow and some tips:
- Start by doing a proper research about the dietary regimen.
- List the foods allowed and stuff them in your pantry.
- Search for recipes online or buy the suggested recipe books (for more food variations).
- Stay away from foods that are not allowed in this diet and remove them from your sight.
- Make sure you have a juicer before starting the first phase of the diet.
- After the second phase, you can begin reintroducing more allowed foods moderately.
In addition, it's suggested to repeat the two phases until you hit your target weight.
Now – in order to achieve the best effects, you should also be mindful of your portion sizes as well.
Again, the Sirtfood Diet recommends low-calorie consumption, which is not for easy for everyone.
Expert's Opinion On Sirtfood Diet
As usual, not all people are fans of the Sirtfood Diet.
That's the reason why it received so many mixed opinions.
So to give you an idea, here are the major points of the feedback it got:
- People's testimonials on the website said that it really helped them lose weight.
- Others mentioned that it improved their skin, energy level and mental well-being.
- Some of them also stated that the diet alleviated the symptoms of their chronic conditions.
- Several doctors, nutritionists and health experts find the diet unsustainable.
- They are also concerned about the potential nutritional gap the diet can cause.
To be clear – the statements above came from some people who tried it, as well as from medical experts.
Of course, its advocates and satisfied users will surely recommend this diet.
However – there were also healthcare professionals who aren't too happy about it.
The main reason are the restrictions that could potentially harm your health.
Again – weight gain is caused by different factors (not just by overeating) .
So I strongly suggest that you seek a medical professional to address that issue.
The Sirtfood Diet promotes calorie restrictions, green juice and sirtuins-rich foods.
Here are its health benefits (according to its website):
- weight loss and healthier muscle mass
- memory and energy boost
- good sleep and anti-aging
- reduced risk of diabetes and chronic diseases
Now – the Sirtfood Diet comes with 2 phases which will last for 3 weeks.
First is the low-calorie part, where you're only required to intake 1000 to 1500 calories a day.
The next part is the maintenance phase, where you can incorporate more foods moderately.
But you can also repeat the process until you reach your target weight.
As usual, you need to eliminate and limit the consumption of some foods.
Some of them include processed foods, some proteins and other sources of nutrients.
Sure – this dietary approach recommends mostly fruits and vegetables.
But nothing beats the benefits of following a well-balanced diet.
Overall – it's still up to you if you try it for weight loss or not.
Just remember that people's health conditions are not the same.