It’s time to review Penetrex Relief Cream – because it’s a really popular pain reliever.
But what lies behind its popularity?
Because in terms of effect – it’s not as excellent as it seems:
- only hides the pain for a few hours
- doesn’t treat the actual cause inside
- mostly masks the symptoms
So is Penetrex a scam? Is it only meant to take advantage of people with severe pain?
I tried to analyze every single detail on this product – so here’s the truth (+ video).
Note: This review is based on my opinion + research on Penetrex.
Full Name: Pain Relief Therapy by Penetrex
Product Type: Pain relieving cream
Best Actual Price: Starting from around $25
Cheapest Place To Buy: Probably Amazon (no official website that sells it)
Designed For: Relieving inflammatory pain.
It claims to work for anything from swollen joints to muscle inflammation.
My Rating: 7 out of 10
Recommended?: Not completely (unless it’s combined with a strong supplement):
- temporary effect (a few hours at most)
- doesn’t treat the real cause on the inside
- pricey for the quantity
To be honest – I would recommend going for a supplement instead (much better effect for the price).
You can also use Penetrex for short-term relief – but make sure to combine it with a supplement.
What I Liked About It
- Very light smell and nice consistency
- When it works, effect appears really fast
- Soaks in within minutes
- Lots of authentic reviews on Amazon
- Available in different quantities and versions (cream, roll-on)
- Can be bought internationally
What I Didn’t Like About It
- Not a real pain relieving treatment
- Doesn’t treat the cause inside (only hides the symptoms for a few hours)
- Effects lasts very little
- Product must be applied several times a day to keep the effect constant
- A bit expensive for the quantity
- Doesn’t work in many people
#1 – What It Is & Claims
I will start by giving you a few general info about this product.
How exactly it works, what it promises, who’s the company behind, etc.
According to its description – Penetrex was voted “# 1 best overall muscle rub” in 2019:
- contains a breakthrough formulation
- has over 8 years of research behind
- has millions of clients worldwide
Now – I cannot disagree with the claims it makes.
And if you ask me, Penetrex is indeed better than most pain relieving creams.
Still – since it’s a cream, it only works on the outside (and does not treat the actual cause inside).
That’s why I personally don’t consider a pain relief treatment.
It is a short-term remedy, but it’s not a real treatment.
So to me – its claims aren’t that impressive.
2. Company Behind
The cream is produced by a brand with the same name – which means 2 things:
- the company only makes this product
- it doesn’t have any creams/supplements for other health problems
In terms of reputation – the brand doesn’t look very bad.
It does have a pretty long history and a positive feedback.
And since it only makes one product – the positive reviews are most likely related to that.
So if you ask me – Penetrex is a really trustworthy and legit company.
From this point of view, you can purchase from them without any worries.
#2 – Formula (7 out of 10)
Just like most creams – Penetrex doesn’t have a very detailed ingredient list:
- active and inactive substances are written together
- no main ingredient
- no dosages for any compound
Basically – you can’t tell what’s the top ingredient from this product (or its quantity).
As I said, that’s something specific for topical products.
But even so – it remains a downside for Penetrex, if you ask me.
Now – I tried to separate its active ingredients from its inactive ones.
So let’s take a closer look at each.
1. Active Ingredients
Basically – these are the ingredients responsible for Penetrex’s effect on pain.
Though there are over 10 different active compounds – most of them have extremely low dosages:
- this means that most won’t have any effect
- they’re only an extra name on the ingredient list
- however, you can’t tell which (since there are no dosages)
Now – out of the active ingredients, here are the ones I consider the most important:
- Arnica Montana Flower Extract – this herb has anti-inflammatory proprieties. 
- Sunflower Seed Oil – moisturizes the painful area (but not on the inside).
- Aloe Vera Leaf Extract – improves local swelling. 
- Boswellia Serrata Oil – can reduce inflammation on the outside.
- Peppermint Oil – provides a cooling and numbing sensation. 
- Camphor – pretty much the same effect as peppermint.
- Tea Tree Leaf Oil – relaxes the painful area and increases blood flow. 
Other than these, there are 2 ingredients worth mentioning:
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
Both are some of the best ingredients for joint pain and cartilage damage.
However – their effect seems to be better when used internally (as pills).
That’s why I doubt they have any major effect in Penetrex (since there are no dosages either).
2. Inactive Ingredients
These are mostly compounds designed to:
- create a nice consistency
- maintain skin lubrication
- give the cream a nice scent
They don’t have any effect on pain/inflammation – that’s why I won’t insist on them too much.
But it’s worth mentioning that about 50% of Penetrex’s ingredients are inactive.
Penetrex doesn’t have a bad formula (compared to other creams).
But in my opinion – it’s not very good either:
- you can’t tell which are its main ingredients
- no dosages or quantities
Besides – half of the ingredients listed are inactive.
So in terms of composition – I wouldn’t really recommend it, at least not alone.
It does work, but it’s only a very short-term remedy (a few hours, at most).
So unless you associate it with a stronger product (like a supplement) – I wouldn’t recommend it.
#3 – How To Use It (7 out of 10)
Here I will try to give you more details on the cream’s consistency and how exactly you should apply it.
1. Smell & Texture
Penetrex looks pretty good from this point of view:
- no detectable smell
- only a very light (fresh) scent
- no one can’t feel you’re using the cream
When it comes to its consistency – it’s pretty regular.
It has a white color and a gel-like texture (which makes it soak in faster than most creams).
Also – it doesn’t burn or sting when it’s applied (which is a real advantage).
Just like most creams – Penetrex doesn’t offer very clear directions:
- Label explains the method to use when applying the cream.
- You should apply it on the painful spot and massage.
- The product should soak in completely in a few minutes.
However, there’s one thing it doesn’t mention: how often you can use it.
Since the effect isn’t going to last more than a few hours – I assume you can apply the product whenever needed.
Still – applying it several times a day to keep the effect constant isn’t very comfortable.
That’s why I’m not a fan of this cream.
#4 – Results (8 out of 10)
Penetrex is one of the most reviewed pain relieving products from Amazon.
It’s true that it has mixed reviews – which is totally normal.
But you can find a lot of info from previous users (both positive and negative).
Note: I only analyzed authentic customer reviews, not promotional ones.
1. Positive Opinions
On Amazon – Penetrex has 4.2 stars out of 5, which is a pretty good number.
It means the product itself works (especially since most people are using it for minor issues and short-term relief).
Now – here’s what most satisfied users say about Penetrex:
- Some claim it really keeps the pain under control.
- Others say that as long as you apply it several times a day, it works.
- A few mention it works for both joint and muscle relief.
- Certain users swear by it.
Basically – I found enough reviews of people who were satisfied with this cream.
However, most of them admitted it was only a short-term remedy (effect disappears after a few hours).
But as you might expect – I found lots of complaints about it as well.
2. Negative Opinions
Surprisingly or not – there are so many unsatisfied customers:
- Some say the cream doesn’t relieve their pain at all.
- Others claim it worked a bit at first, but it stopped working afterwards.
- A few others state it only decreases the pain very little bit.
- Many complain that it’s expensive for the quantity.
- Lots of people claim you have to apply it up to 6-7 times/day (to maintain the effect).
Overall, I found a lot more complaints than I actually believed.
Besides – many of those users agreed that Penetrex is only a secondary product.
Since it only works for a few hours, it should be combined with something stronger (like supplements).
That’s why I don’t recommend using this cream as a main treatment either.
Penetrex has mixed reviews on Amazon.
But despite the positive ones, I found a lot more complaints than I expected.
Most people state that the product isn’t an actual remedy – just a few hours relief.
Considering its price, I couldn’t possibly recommend Penetrex (at least not as a #1 pick).
I personally recommend a supplement instead – because it has a much stronger effect on the long term.
Whether you combine it with Penetrex or not, it’s up to you.
But my biggest advice is to go for a supplement as a #1 choice.
#5 – Side Effects (9 out of 10)
Penetrex is quite safe from this point of view.
Just like most creams – it doesn’t cause systemic side effects (only local ones at most).
Now, I found very few complaints about its side effects:
- most people said it didn’t irritate the skin
- a few complained about itching
- I also found a negative review about a rash appeared after applying the cream
To be honest – any cream can cause rashes but in a very low per cent (some under 1%).
So Penetrex does have this risk as well.
But out of 100 people, less than 1% will experience any itching/rashes.
That’s why I wouldn’t worry too much about this.
If the cream really was dangerous – it would have way more complaints on this.
#6 – Price (7 out of 10)
For the quantity it has, Penetrex isn’t necessarily cheap.
It’s surely not the priciest cream I cam across – but if you ask me, it could be a few dollars cheaper.
1. The Exact Price
First of all – Penetrex comes in several sizes:
- 2 oz bottle that costs around $25 normally.
- 4 oz bottle that costs around $35.
- 3 oz roll-on that costs about $25.
However – since they’re all sold on Amazon, they often have discounts.
Besides, you can also find these 3 sizes combined in different packs.
Obviously – the larger the pack, the better the price.
But still, for the quantity it contains – Penetrex is a bit pricey.
I’m not saying it’s very expensive (compared to other creams).
But considering its popularity, I think it should be a few dollars cheaper.
Since its effect only lasts for a few hours – I’m not sure it’s worth the money.
2. Competitors’ Price
I won’t compare Penetrex with another cream (because creams are not a proper treatment for joint pain).
Instead – I will compare it with my #1 recommended joint product.
I’m talking about a supplement called Joint Support + from Nuzena:
- Penetrex has a local effect that lasts a few hours (at most).
- Nuzena has a durable effect that doesn’t go away even if you quit the pills.
- Penetrex costs between $25-$35 per bottle.
- Nuzena costs $30 per bottle (monthly supply).
- If you use a coupon code I offer, it costs $20/bottle.
- Plus, you can get it for about $15/bottle (when buying a larger pack).
Now – out of these 2, I would strongly recommend going for Nuzena.
It’s the best joint supplement in terms of quality/price.
However – you can surely combine it with Penetrex.
So until Nuzena’s product starts working (it’s going to take a while), you can use Penetrex to keep your pain under control.
Penetrex is quite pricey for its actual value, if you ask me.
Considering that its effect only lasts for a few hours – it’s not a product I would recommend.
Not alone, at least.
That’s why I strongly suggest you to go for a supplement instead (if you want a real relief).
You can combine it with Penetrex as well (since they work through different mechanism).
But when it comes to using Penetrex alone – I wouldn’t recommend that.
#7 – Availability (10 out of 10)
Penetrex is one of those creams that is really easy to find (both online and in real life).
Maybe that’s because of its popularity – but it’s available easily:
- Most popular seller is Amazon.
- You can also find it on Ebay/Walmart.
- As far as I know, it’s also available in other retailers.
- Most likely, you can get it from local drugs stores as well.
However – I’m quite sure that its best price is on Amazon.
That’s why it’s the retailer I pretty much recommend.
Besides – as I mentioned before, you can get a lower price if you buy different packs.
If $25/bottle is too much for you, that option might be better.
#8 – Penetrex In 3 Conclusions
Here’s how I would sum up my opinion on Penetrex.
1. Local & Short Effect
That’s the best way to summarize Penetrex’s potency:
- doesn’t treat the actual cause of pain
- mostly improves the local symptoms
- works only on the outside
That’s why the effect only lasts for a few hours – because the cause isn’t treated at all.
In this way, once the numbing effect goes away – the pain returns as strong as before.
2. May Work Or Not
Though I personally had a pretty good opinion on this cream, it’s not really so (apparently).
Its Amazon reviews are quite mixed up.
And even though more than 60% are positive – there are enough complaints as well.
For this reason:
- product works really well for some
- in others, it only works in the first weeks
- for many others, it has absolutely no effect
That’s why you should keep this in mind before making any purchase.
3. Pricey For Its Value
In my opinion – Penetrex could be a few dollars cheaper:
- quantity is small for the price
- effect isn’t durable
- not an actual joint treatment
Now – this cream is surely a good relieving solution for the short term.
But precisely for this reason, I believe it should cost a bit less.
My Verdict – Worth Or Not?
Short answer: Yes and No.
Normally – it’s not a pain relief product I would recommend:
- Effect is very short and doesn’t appear in everyone.
- Product needs to be applied several times a day.
- Doesn’t treat the actual cause behind the pain.
- Only hides the symptoms for a few hours.
- Not effective in everyone (enough complaints).
- A bit expensive for its real value.
However, I would recommend Penetrex in certain cases.
And by this I mean – if it’s combined with a stronger product (like a supplement).
Supplements have a much better effect (in terms of intensity and strength):
- work on the inside
- treat and fix the real cause behind the pain
- effect lasts a lot more
- better quality/price ratio
The only downside is that supplements need at least a few weeks to start working.
So if you need a fast relief in the meantime, Penetrex can really help.
However – the cream doesn’t have a long term effect (so you will have to use it constantly).
That’s why using a supplement as your #1 product is much better.