It's time to review OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo – a promising shampoo which boosts volume:
- very affordable
- highly rated
- high risk of side effects
So, is it really all it's cracked up to be?
Will your hair grow faster due to this shampoo?
The following lines will give you the answer to all your questions.
Note: This review is based on my opinion + research on OGX Biotin Collagen Shampoo.
Full Name: OGX Thick & Full + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
Product Type: Shampoo
Best Actual Price: $10.88
Cheapest Place To Buy: Amazon
The official website does not offer the option to buy this shampoo.
Designed For: Thickening and helping your hair grow.
It also claims to:
- strengthen the hair
- provide nourishment
- maintain the health of your strands
My Rating: 6 out of 10
Recommended?: Not exactly – it comes with quite a few disadvantages:
- weak formula
- high risk of side effects
- complaints about shipping conditions
Instead, I advise you to go for a safer shampoo that does a much better job.
What I Liked About It
- Contains biotin, a nutrient essential for hair
- Created by a reputable brand
- Reasonable price tag
- Available on many retailers
What I Didn't Like About It
- Only has 3 active ingredients
- Cannot be bought from official website
- High risk of side effects
- Can even trigger allergic reactions
- Many complaints about shipping conditions
OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo In A Nutshell
OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo is an attractive option due to its accessible price.
But that's pretty much its only major advantage.
Most people voice their praises regarding this product:
- makes hair thicker
- softens the hair
- adds volume
These could be attributed to the biotin it contains.
Still – there are also numerous complaints:
- hair loss
- allergic reactions
- poor shipping conditions
These are definitely troublesome, especially for a product that claims to improve hair.
So keep this in mind if you want to give it a try!
Besides, the formula of this shampoo is nothing to write home about.
It only has about 3 active ingredients, including the biotin mentioned earlier.
All in all, it would be safer to go for a shampoo of higher quality.
So don't let this product's price tag lure you in.
#1 – How It Works & Producer
Let's start with the most basic information regarding this product:
- who the producer is
- what problems it claims to solve
- how exactly it works
1. How It Works
The official website puts it simply: this shampoo will “thicken and texturize any hair type”.
In order to do this, here's what it promises:
- give hair more structure
- keep hair healthy
- maintain hair's growth
It also claims to volumize and thicken your hair from the very first use.
But that's an obvious exaggeration.
Still – when it comes to fulfilling its promises, it brings up various aspects about its formula.
To name some of them:
- infused with collagen
- contains vitamin B7
- rich in nutrients
Naturally, all of these ingredients are great for hair growth and strength.
Additionally, this product is free of sulfates and parabens, which is good .
All in all – aside from moderate overstatements, this shampoo seems alright.
At least at first glance.
2. Company Behind
Unsurprisingly, this shampoo comes from a company called OGX.
Here's what I've been able to gather so far:
- company has its own website
- it sells other hair products as well as body products
- you can get in touch with customer care by submitting a ticket
- you cannot order directly from the website
It doesn't seem to provide any email address or phone number.
This can be a bit inconvenient if you want to contact them for any issue you might have.
I also found that there was a lawsuit against this brand.
This was mainly because of the major hair-loss issues people keep complaining about.
Overall, I'd say things are not looking too great in terms of trustworthiness.
#2 – Ingredients (5 out of 10)
As I already mentioned, OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo appears to have a decent enough formula.
At least that's the impression we get when looking at the ingredients advertised often:
- hydrolyzed wheat protein
They are known to have beneficial properties for hair, of course.
We will get into more details soon enough.
To analyze more thoroughly, I had a look through the formula.
But I was let down by one aspect.
Sadly, the producer didn't disclose the individual dose of every ingredient.
So we're gonna have to make do with that we have.
As you could see above, this shampoo has quite a lot of ingredients.
However, only 3 of these are actually active:
- Biotin – strengthens hair and adds shine to it .
- Hydrolyzed Collagen – thickens hair and supports scalp health .
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein – maintains hair elasticity and moisture .
Although there's nothing wrong with these ingredients…
The fact that this shampoo only offers 3 active components is a bit disappointing.
The rest are mainly there to alter the consistency and smell of the shampoo.
So they don't bring any real benefits to your hair.
Overall, OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo does not have the best formula.
It has very few active ingredients to fulfill all the promises it makes.
I'll give it credit for containing biotin, since it's an essential nutrient for hair health.
But other than that, there's nothing that spectacular about it.
For this reason, I recommend that you look for a shampoo with a better formula.
#3 – Smell & Texture (7 out of 10)
Here's what you should know about OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo's scent and consistency.
Since this shampoo has fragrance in its composition, expect an artificial scent.
This is how customers describe it:
- reminiscent of coconuts
- hints of vanilla
This is interesting, since the Amazon page mentions the following in the “scent” section:
All in all, I'd say that people describing the smell as “fresh” are on point.
I couldn't find that many people talking about this feature.
But the few descriptions I came across mentioned that this shampoo is quite runny.
So you should be careful when handling it.
This can make it easier to squeeze out more than you actually need.
#4 – Results (6 out of 10)
To see how this shampoo works, I had a look through its customer reviews.
Generally, that's the best way to get a good idea of how effective a product is.
There's no better option than reading other people's experiences.
Note: I only considered authentic reviews, not promotional/fake ones.
1. Positive Reviews
I looked at the reviews from the official website, Amazon and Walmart.
The overall rating for OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo was quite high.
Namely, it has around 4.5 stars out of 5 on all three web pages.
Here is a summary of all the advantages people brought up:
- Some people mentioned that their hair is thicker now.
- A few also said that it moisturizes their hair.
- Many are pleased with the scent this shampoo leaves in their hair.
- Some customers also mentioned that they noticed an increase in volume.
- Multiple people said it made their hair feel softer.
- Most positive reviews mentioned that it really stimulates hair growth.
Here's a review from Walmart mentioning a spike in hair growth:
Overall, the majority of reviews were positive, which is expected because of the high rating.
This product seemed to work for quite a few people.
Many stated that they are going to repurchase it.
2. Negative Reviews
Once, you get past the initial wall of praises, you will actually find lots of complaints.
Here's what they brought up:
- Most people are saying their hair is falling out a lot.
- Some said it triggered allergic reactions.
- People also said they didn't notice any difference.
- A couple complained about how their hair is greasier now.
- A few said that the consistency is too thick.
- Some customers even said that the scent is too strong.
- Lots of complaints about shipping conditions.
- Some even mentioned that the shampoo turns into goop after a few days.
Many people were complaining about the shampoo spilling in the shipping box:
Overall, these complaints are definitely enough to raise eyebrows.
As I mentioned, multiple people mentioned these aspects in their reviews.
So something is not quite right.
It seems like opinions about OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo are divided.
It works for a lot of people, yet many others are complaining about the opposite.
This means that you cannot know how this shampoo will work for you…
Until you actually try it, which is not reassuring.
That is why I would recommend that you go for a better option.
#5 – Side Effects (5 out of 10)
Despite its high ranking, OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo still managed to cause issues.
Let me reiterate some of the concerns of most people:
- allergic reactions
- hair loss
- itchy scalp
- dried out scalp
- burning sensations (on scalp)
These are quite drastic.
Since this shampoo claims to promote thick and full hair…
These side effects are surely counter-intuitive.
Because it's promoted for helping your hair grow, I will say that these adverse reactions are highly disappointing.
I would advise you to stay away from this product.
I assure you that there are much safer shampoos out there.
#6 – Price (8 out of 10)
Price is one of the biggest advantages of this shampoo.
Compared to other products, it's not as expensive.
1. The Exact Price
The price definitely pulls people in.
In truth, OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo is quite affordable.
You can find all the retailers linked on the official website.
For this review, I'm going to look at it's product page on Amazon:
- $10.88 for 25.4 fl. oz. (the biggest bottle)
- no discount for buying more than 1 bottle
- the subscription gets you $5 off
That being said, I don't actually recommend going for the subscription.
That's mainly because you cannot know if this product really works or not.
Regardless – the discount is pretty insignificant.
This shampoo is affordable enough already.
2. Competitor's Price
Let me give you an option that is much better in quality.
For this reason, it's also a bit higher in price, but it's totally worth it.
Here's my top recommendation for hair shampoo:
- Valotin contains botanical extracts which are amazing for hair.
- Valotin is actually extremely effective for stimulating hair growth.
- Unlike this product, Valotin has no record of causing side effects.
- On top of that, Valotin contains a lot more active ingredients than OGX.
- Valotin lathers much better than OGX.
- The ingredients in Valotin have lots of studies behind them.
Due to these reasons, I feel more comfortable recommending Valotin.
Since it has better ingredients and no risk of causing adverse reactions…
I would definitely go for this one instead of OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo.
While OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo might have an attractive price tag…
I don't think the potential side effects are worth the risk.
So I would say it's better for your hair if you go for a product that's higher in quality.
This way, you avoid making things worse for yourself.
#7 – Final Conclusions
Here are the main features that define OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo.
1. Weak Ingredient List
As we have seen, this shampoo does not have amazing ingredients:
- only contains 3 active ingredients
- individual dose is not disclosed
For all the claims it makes, the formula does not look promising.
The fact that it contains biotin is good.
However, there's not much else to help it work.
OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo is inexpensive enough to attract many curious customers.
This proves to be an advantage:
- the biggest bottle has a good price
- people praise how affordable it is
- also offers free delivery
That being said, this definitely adds to the initial charm of this shampoo.
3. Concerning Side Effects
This is the most alarming aspect regarding this specific shampoo.
As we have seen, people have multiple complaints:
- loss of hair
- allergic reactions
These are just a few of the issues raised by previous customers.
Most of them seem pretty intense as well.
They are not reactions you would normally expect from a shampoo.
My Verdict – Worth It Or Not?
Short answer: Not exactly – it's not really worth the risks:
- Formula could use more active ingredients.
- Many people complained about side effects.
- May not have the best shipping conditions.
- Could trigger allergic reactions.
I would say that OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo seems pretty good initially.
But the more you look into it, the worse it gets.
To avoid this risk, I thought I'd recommend Valotin.
It's by far the best shampoo for your hair:
- contains many botanical extracts for hair
- is very effective in terms of hair growth
- is affordable considering its high quality
- has no risk of causing side effects
Taking all of this into account, I would say Valotin is the better choice.
If you are looking for the best shampoo for stimulating hair growth…
There's really no better option.
You won't have to worry about making your hair worse.
That's a significant advantage.
1 – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/-PMC5419772/
2 – https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-biotin-good-for-hair-loss/
3 – https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/-nutritionsource/collagen/
4 – https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/-10.1177/1091581818776013