Are you asking yourself the question: “Does onion water grow hair?“
In other words, are you wondering about onion water and its effectiveness?
Well, let me tell you some good news. This article can answer your questions.
In fact, you will find out:
- how onion water works
- how to use onion water for hair
- how to prepare onion water
So stay tuned and you will get the information you need!
Note. This article is based on my own research on onion water for hair growth.
Onion Water & Hair Growth
Probably you didn't expect me to say that onion can be used for hair growth.
All of us know that onion is a great ingredient for many recipes – especially for salads.
Every salad fan knows what I'm talking about.
But how can you use onion, more specifically onion water, for hair?
It is hard to believe that onions can do any good to your hair, right?
Yet, the truth is that onions are full of benefits for your hair:
- make your hair shiner
- reduce dandruff and scalp irritation
- have anti-fungal properties
- strengthen the hair
- improve hair elasticity
- boost overall hair and scalp health
The good news continues.
In fact, onion water can be used by everyone, no matter the hair and scalp type.
The only thing you need to be careful with is allergic reactions.
Like any other natural remedy, onion water can cause allergic reactions.
For this reason – avoid using onion water in the following cases:
- you know you're allergic to onions
- you experience symptoms such as redness, irritation, itching
However, do not worry! Not many people are allergic to onions.
So the risk to experience such side effects is pretty low!
Let me tell you a fun fact! For us, using onions for hair care might be a little bit strange.
However, this is not a new practice.
There are some cultures you have been using onion water for hair growth for decades.
So what do you think? Is onion water suitable for you?
Onion Water’s Top Hair Nutrients
As you guessed, onion water is so beneficial for your hair thanks to its nutrients.
Each of them helps your hair in its own way.
I'm sure you are eager to discover which are those nutrients, so let's get started:
- sulfurous compounds
- vitamins like A and C
- flavonoids like quercetin 
Let me give you some more details about those.
As you can note, onion water contains sulfurous compounds.
In other words, it is rich in sulfur. How does this help you grow your hair?
Well, in fact, sulfur is an essential mineral for hair growth and for boosting the production of keratin.
Who did not hear of keratin and its effects on hair?
Moreover, sulfur is one of the nutrients that help you strengthen your hair.
However, vitamins A and C also bring their contributions to your hair health:
- vitamin A helps you keep your scalp healthy
- a healthy scalp leads to a healthy and long hair
- vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant 
- so it protects your hair from everyday damage
Last, but not least, let's talk a little bit about quercitin.
As I mentioned already, quercitin is a flavonoid that has many benefits:
- is a natural antioxidant 
- has anti-inflammatory properties
- is anti-bacterial
- can inhibit PGD2 which impacts negatively your hair cycle
In other words, quercetin is a super nutrient for your hair.
Fortunately, onions and onion water are packed with flavonoids like quercetin.
So do you have enough reasons to use onion water for hair growth?
If your answer is yes – then let me tell you how to actually do that.
How To Use Onion Water For Hair
As you probably guessed already, onion water is used externally.
That is in case you want to grow your hair.
For other purposes, like improving your immunity, you can also drink it.
Yet, in today's article, we will focus only on how to use onion water for hair growth.
Moreover, there are more recipes that you can try – including a hair mask that contains onion water.
However, until then, let me give you some general instructions:
- Apply onion water to your scalp.
- Do that no more than once a week.
- Then wash your hair twice to get rid of the smell.
- And you are ready to go!
Talking about the smell, this can be an issue.
That especially because it can be challenging to get rid of it even after you wash your hair.
So what can you do then?
Well, some people say that the smell can be offset with lemon juice.
Thus, if your hair still has a bad smell after you wash, it you can try this lemon trick.
But here are some extra tricks that you can try:
- use apple cider vinegar to rinse your hair
- use a citrus-based shampoo
- add a few drops of essential oil to your shampoo
- try tomato juice
So if you want to try onion water, do not worry about the smell.
Or if you still don't want to try onion water, you can buy a hair product that is based on onions.
If you still want to try onion water, then let me teach you how to make it!
Recipe 1 – Squeezy Onion Water
The first recipe that you can try is actually based on onion juice.
That's why I named it Squeezy Onion Water.
This is probably the recipe in which the onion water is the most concentrated.
So, if you want an intensive treatment for hair growth, this is what you're looking for.
How do you prepare it?
Well, before I tell you the instructions, let's have a look at what you need:
- 3-4 onions
- a cotton pad
- a blender or a juicer
Here are the instructions:
- First of all, peel and chop the onions into small pieces.
- Then, extract the juice by squeezing or bleeding them.
- Apply the juice to your scalp using a cotton pad.
- Massage it into your scalp using your fingers.
- Let it sit for an hour and then rinse it.
It is as simple as that!
However, remember the ways in which you can reduce the smell of onions!
And use one of them to neutralize the not-so-pleasant smell of onions.
Also, do not forget to repeat the treatment every week.
Do not use it too often or too rarely – only in this way will you be able to have very good results!
Recipe 2 – Overnight Onion Water
This recipe is a little bit easier to prepare, but it takes more time.
Also, the smell of onion is not so strong in its case. You will see why.
Before that, I'm sure you are wondering why I gave this name to the recipe.
Did you guess the answer?
It is because for this type of onion water, you need to leave the onion in water overnight.
To cut to the chase, here's what you need for this recipe:
- 3-4 onions
- a medium bowl
Here's what you need to do:
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- Put them into a medium bowl.
- Add water until it covers all the pieces of onions.
- Leave the onion to soak in the water overnight.
- Then, apply the onion-infused water to your hair and scalp in the morning.
- Leave the onion water on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Then wash your hair as usual.
Like in the case of the previous recipe – if the smell annoys you, make sure you use one of the tricks mentioned.
In this way, you can benefit from the properties of onion water and avoid the unpleasant smell.
Now, does this recipe sounds good to you or do you want to find out more about the other two?
If you want more information, then, let's move on to the next one.
Recipe 3 – Rinse Onion Water
This recipe is specially designed for those who want to rinse their hair with onion water.
Also, the good news is that this recipe is the least smelly among the ones mentioned here.
So if you want your hair to both look and smell good, this recipe is for you!
Also, like the others, it is pretty easy to prepare and use.
Let's have a look at the ingredients:
- 4-5 chopped onion
- 1 liter of water
Here come the instructions:
- Boil the chopped onions in one liter of water.
- Let the solution cool down.
- Then strain it and use it to rinse your hair.
- So, rinse your hair with this onion water after you wash it as usual.
- You shouldn't rinse your hair again with plain water after you used the onion water.
When will you be able to see the results?
Well, as with any other natural remedy, this onion water has good results in the long run.
So you need to use it for at least 6 weeks until you see significant results.
If you do that, I'm sure you will have very good results. Even you will be surprised.
Recipe 4 – Mixed Onion Water
Last, but not least, I want to present to you a different recipe.
Why mixed? Because this recipe does not contain only onions and water.
It is rather a mask based on onion water.
Besides onions, this mask also contains coconut oil and honey.
Those two ingredients can also improve your hair growth.
So before telling you how to actually prepare this recipe, I will give some details about those two.
First of all, have a look at the benefits of coconut oil for hair:
- moisturizes your hair
- strengthens the hair
- nourishes the scalp
- improves the overall health of the hair
Honey has its own benefits.
Not only is it delicious and sweet, but it also improves your hair growth.
Besides, I can mention the following benefits that honey has:
- smooths the hair
- restore shine to the hair
- moisturizes the hair
- gives your hair the nutrients it needs
Now it is time to have a look at the ingredients you need for Mixed Onion Water.
Here they are:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4-5 tablespoons onion juice or water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon yogurt
The instructions you need to follow are these:
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and massage it for a few minutes using your fingers.
- Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair as usual and repeat the process once a week.
So now you finally have all the information you need to start your haircare with onion.
I taught you how to prepare different types of onion water, which are beneficial for your hair.
Besides, you also learned how to prepare a hair mask with onion water.
Thus, which of the recipes presented here is the most suitable for you?
Onion water has become a popular remedy for hair growth lately.
However, the question that remains is “Does onion water grow hair?“.
To answer that question, we looked at the properties of onion water and how it works.
In short, onion water can indeed grow your hair and help you have long and beautiful hair.
Besides, it has other benefits as well:
- makes your hair shiner
- reduces scalp irritation and dandruff
- strengthen your hair
- has anti-fungal properties
- boosts the overall health of your hair and scalp
Also, onion water is rich in sulfur, which is essential for the production of keratin.
So by keeping your scalp and hair healthy, onion water stimulates the growth of your hair too.
Its only disadvantage is the unpleasant smell that we all know too well.
However, you can reduce that smell by trying one of the hacks that I presented.
Moreover, there are more ways in which you can use and make onion water.
So here are the recipes that you definitely need to try:
- Squeezy Onion Water
- Overnight Onion Water
- Rinse Onion Water
- Mixed Onion Water
Which of these recipes is more effective? Well, I can't decide.
So why don't you try all of them and see which one is best for you?