Are you not sure about what probiotic to use?
Maybe you feel like you need to know more about them?
Well, taking probiotics has become a trend recently:
- many people don't know the type of product they need
- they simply choose a random supplement
That's why it's better to do your research.
But let me help you – here's how to choose probiotics (in 6 steps).
Note: This is based on my own research + personal opinion.
#1 – Determine Your Exact Problem
This may sound like a no-brainer, but making sure you know your problem is critical.
Now – figuring out why you need a probiotic isn't that simple.
But the goal of this guide is to help you be more informed.
Here are the main issues probiotics are used for:
- Diarrhea 
- After taking antibiotics
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative colitis
Current studies confirm the potential health benefits of probiotics.
You just need to know your problem – in order to pick the product.
Some gut problems could also be autoimmune or digestive issues.
So it's essential to have a clear goal in mind.
Here are some more things to consider:
- Probiotics are generally safe, but some risks can still be there.
- That's mostly when you have a serious medical condition.
- Consider consulting your doctor first.
But overall – think about why you need a probiotic.
The better you know this, the easier will be to pick the right product.
Your gut is one of the most sensitive parts of your body – so you need to pay attention.
Probiotics are used because of their numerous benefits.
Make sure that you why you want to take a probiotic for.
This will allow you to choose the most appropriate product.
#2 – Choose The Right Dosage
When it comes to immunity and digestion, you need to be careful.
This is why I first need you to make sure about the problem you have.
That's the base of choosing your probiotic and its dosage.
Here's what you should know about the correct dosage for you:
- A probiotic's dosage is indicated in its colony forming units (CFUs).
- This means the number of beneficial microbes that can form colonies (in your gut).
- Note that CFUs are estimated in procedural tests, in a laboratory setting.
- The amount of CFU you need will depend on your problem.
One might say that the secret using probiotics is the right dosage.
That's because the correct dose will lead to the best effect.
Now, the general range of dosage in probiotics varies from product to product.
I would divide them in several groups – based on their dosages (depending on use):
- For children, the usual dosage is 5-10 billion CFUs .
- The usual amount for adults is 10-20 billion CFUs.
- For daily maintenance or minor issues, use products with 5-10 billion CFUs.
- For average cases, pick products with between 10-40 billion CFUs.
- Strong probiotics have between 40-50 billion CFUs.
- I don't necessarily recommend a product with a higher dose (it can be dangerous).
If you are generally healthy and you only want to boost your health, use a maintenance product.
Now, if you have some gut issues, try the strongest category.
But you should only take it for a few months, until your gut health is back to normal.
As I said, higher concentrations can do more harm than good.
The dosage of probiotics is measured in colony forming units (CFUs).
In order to use a probiotic correctly, you need to take the right dosage.
Choosing a certain dose depends on your exact problem.
#3 – Go For Several Bacterial Strains
Probiotics are actually made of bacterial strains.
Remember that your gut health is made of both good and bad bacteria.
This is where probiotics comes into play:
- increases your good bacteria level
- reduces the harmful ones
Now, a high level of good bacteria will keep your bad ones under control.
But what does “bacterial strains” actually mean?
- A strain means one specific type of bacteria (with its own special function).
- Probiotics are made of several bacterial strains.
- Some strains are more helpful for certain issues, while others work better in other cases.
The bacterial strains inside a probiotict ells a lot about what it can offer.
Remember that each bacterial strain has its own unique features and functions.
So you should choose the ones designed for your exact problem.
For example, Lactobacillus can fight against bad bacteria that cause auto-immune issues.
According to a study, here are the most popular strains from probiotics :
Just like their dosages, bacterial strains vary from product to product.
Now, let me give you one inside tip.
No matter their high dose, probiotics with 2-3 bacterial strains aren't that strong.
I recommend you to try products with 5-12 different strains.
Those have some much higher chances to help your problem.
Bacterial strains are what make probiotics work.
Each strain has its unique and special functions.
Choose products with ta higher number of bacterial strains.
#4 – Pay Attention To Prebiotics
Do not confuse prebiotics with probiotics.
These two are related in concept – but they are totally different.
Both of them have some essential roles in a balanced microbiome.
So you both, in order to get the best results:
- Probiotics are living good bacteria.
- Prebiotics are designed to feed that bacteria (so that it multiplies faster).
- Now, prebiotics are some fiber that probiotics use as a food.
- Think of them as fuel to help your good bacteria grow faster.
- They make it easier for your probiotics to survive and grow.
- In this way, you can see some results much faster.
So having an army of good bacteria into your digestive tract is not enough.
You have to make sure that these bacteria are able to do their job, once taken.
That's why you also need prebiotics – to support your good bacteria army in the battlefield.
Still, prebiotics have a lot of other functions as well:
- Keep your gut lined cells healthy.
- Assist your calcium absorption.
- Improve your digestion and metabolism.
- Help prevent constipation, as they ferment foods faster.
- Speeds up elimination of foods that can cause blood sugar spikes.
Studies showed they can help to decrease intestinal infestation .
So in order tohave a healthy gut, you need to consider prebiotics too.
Make sure to remember this and go for a product that contains both.
Unfortunately, 95% of probiotic supplements don't contain probiotics as well.
That's because of the higher cost they have.
But there are several exceptions, that's for sure (more on this below).
Prebiotics plays a vital role in how well a probiotic works.
They are special fiber that probiotics use as food.
At the same time, they come with some additional benefits.
#5 – Check Out User Feedback
Just like with any other products, feedback is critical.
A product's feedback is one of the things that everyone should consider.
That especially if you are looking into less popular products.
So it's super helpful in terms of probiotics, as well:
- Gives you an idea on how effective a product is.
- Helps you understand what product suits your needs.
- Useful if you have no prior experience with probiotics.
- Save you time, effort and money.
Now, feedback also helps to scale how trustworthy a product is.
You would expect that a high-quality probiotic to have a lot of of comments from its users, right?
That's because probiotics are popular and widely used by the public.
So you shouldn't have any trouble finding previous user experiences.
Now – here's what you should remember:
- Feedbacks reflect the credibility of its producing brand as well.
- You can see the satisfaction level of its previous users.
- You will be able to determine if the product is safe.
- In case of bad products, you are saved by others' bad experiences.
What I advise you is to not look over the comments only.
Instead, try to find some other reviews (written by qualified people)
This means getting an expert's feedback .
On Supplementox, we do that a lot – so you can check our reviews on probiotics (and not only).
Reading previous user opinions can really help you get to know a product better.
So it allows you to be a smart customer.
Plus, it saves you time, effort and money.
#6 – Pick A Trustworthy Brand
These tips are all meant to help you pick the best probiotic.
But it would not be the best, if it wasn't made by trustworthy brand.
Now, there are too many probiotics out there.
Some are really weak, while others are some outright scams.
Here are some signs that a product is trustworthy:
- Transparent with ingredients and doses.
- Public formula, ingredients, size and proportions.
- Mixed reviews from both previous and current users.
- Clear information on the label.
- Professional website behind
But most importantly – a trustworthy probiotic is made by a reputable brand.
What you can also do is read reviews outside the official website.
Consider checking other sources, in order to eliminate any promotional comments.
This will get you an honest opinion of how the product works in reality.
Almost all products nowadays claim to be the best from the market.
Of course that cannot be true.
So when you're checking out probiotics, do not forget these tips:
- It is best to choose a reputable company.
- Go for many different strains and a high dosage.
- Pick a product with lots of satisfied customer and recommended by professionals.
- Check its money back guarantee.
- Look for lots of contact details.
In terms of a guarantee,, there are many products that offer one.
This acts as a way that any unsatisfied user can ask for this money back.
When you see a product with this feature, it is a good sign that it is authentic.
Make sure to pick a trustworthy probiotic brand.
Go for a product that is transparent with its details.
Choose one that is open to both positive and negative reviews.
Plus, consider one that comes with a money back guarantee.
#1 Probiotic Supplement
Considering the tips I gave you above, I also had to help you choose the best product out there.
Now, you can surely look the best one on your own.
But I want to show you a high-quality probiotic that you can definitely trust.
It's a product I totally trust – so you can have a lot of confidence into it as well.
Let me introduce you to 1MD's Complete Probiotics Platinum:
- Based on some high doses and excellent bacterial strains.
- Probably has the best formula among probiotics.
- Contains 11 different bacterial strains.
- One of the few products combining probiotics with prebiotics.
- Easy to follow, as it only requires one (1) pill daily.
- Really affordable for its quality and value.
- Offers a 90-day money back guarantee.
One thing that I like about this product is that it has an excellent composition.
Remember what I told you about prebiotics?
This product has a unique prebiotic mix.
It comes with some prebiotic fiber that significantly increases its effect and results.
Not only does it have lots of satisfied users, but it has a number of constant customers.
If these are not enough, here's more:
- Certified to be a doctor-formula based.
- Designed with on a distinct encapsulation technology.
- Helpful for digestive health, microbial balance and immunity.
There is no doubt that this product is everything you need from a probiotic.
No need to worry if you have not tried it before!
Honestly, it's exactly the opposite of a scam.
Plus, it comes with a 90-day moneyback guarantee – which is definitely something to think about.
Be careful with products that have claim to do a lot, but they don't.
Complete Probiotics Platinum is by far the best probiotic supplement I looked into.
It has a great formula, lots of users that swear by it and a great price.
My Final Thoughts
Are you now ready to get to choose the right probiotic for your problem?
Try to remember what I advised you:
- Think what you exactly need it for.
- Choose the right dosage for your problem.
- Always opt for several bacterial strains.
- Consider products with prebiotics.
- Do not forget to read its user feedback.
- Pick a product that you can trust.
Now, Complete Probiotics Platinum is top recommendation.
I looked into many products – but none of those has its amazing features.
So if you want my advice, that's what you should go for.
Remember that when you take a probiotic, it will take some time for start working.
However, this should not stop you from living a healthy life.
1 – https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Probiotics-Professional
2 – https://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/1101/p1073
3 – https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Probiotics-Health